Pages

Friday, May 2, 2014

Kim Possible

The other day I was in class, and some girls started talking about Kim Possible.
This prompted the girls I was talking to, to start talking about Kim Possible.
blog.lib.umn.edu
"Don't you remember that show?" One of them asked while her eyes gleamed with nostalgia.
"Um.....not really," I said awkwardly. "I've never seen it."
This one comment completely ostracized me for the rest of class.
See, my parents were the type of parents that didn't really let us watch T.V until we were 10.
((no they aren't the insane religious type, they just didn't want to pay for it and wanted us to go outside)).
This left a lot of blanks in mine and 'le brother's' pop culture experience. We didn't see any classic Disney channel shows while they were still on, were utterly confused about why an underwater sponge was so popular (still confused about that one), and didn't see any of the High School Musicals until middle school.
It's sad, I know.
After the previously mentioned conversation, I decided that I would finally watch my first episode of Kim Possible.
Then my first episode turned into second, and third, and fourth........and then twenty.
I KNOW IT'S LAME BUT IT WAS FOR THE SAKE OF SCIENCE.
THE SCIENCE OF MISSED CHILDHOOD.
.
.
.
.
Summary thing based off of the first season (but I don't think it would change that much in later seasons anyway):
Hopefully someone else had been living under a rock their entire lives too and actually need this.
Kim Possible is this teenage super spy person in the early 2000s (you can tell it's the early 2000s because crop tops are still in((and because having a website automatically made you cool)) ). She goes around the world, saving people from everything from volcanoes to villans.
For some reason everyone knows about her missions and is for some reason cool with it?
Her sidekick is this guy named Ron Stoppable (ya see what they did there?) who is a klutz and a dork and I love him. He has a naked mole rat named Rufus who lives in his pocket.
So....that's about it.

Characters:
Kim: They made her a little TOO perfect. Honestly. She's the head cheerleader, an honors student, REALLY popular, and a world wide hero. She's reminds me a bit of Buffy Summers (shout out to BtVS fans!), but without Buffy's awesomeness.

Ron: This is where they dumped all of Kim's flaws....or tried to. Honestly, I think this show is allergic to realistic teenage problems. Ron is uncool, and the only reason he doesn't get beat up all the time is cus he's friends with Kim.
He goes on missions with Kim, but is mainly a distraction. He's made of comic relief from head to toe, which I guess is why I like him. He also has a weird phobia of monkeys.

Wade: Kim's tech guy. I think this kid lives in his room, just surrounded by computers (which could not have been high quality at all cus again it's the early 2000s). He gets her all her info, and builds unnecessarily disguised weapons (such as a grappling hook disguised as a hair dryer).

Rufus: A naked mole rat who likes to eat.

Dr. Draken: The supposed bad guy. Again, this guy is made of comic relief. He's sort of like Ron, but thinks that he's large and in charge. It's hilarious actually. He's always beaten (which follows the classic kids show template), but is surprisingly cool about it.

Shiego: She's the one who I think is the REAL villan. She actually looks sort of evil, and has this weird super power that I haven't quite figured out yet but it makes her hands glow green. She's the one that's always fighting Kim, and is actually sort of a BAMF.

Review:
I like it...I guess? I'd been hearing so much about the show over the years, that I guess it had been built up to this perfect thing. Needless to say, it wasn't perfect, and I am a little let down about it. Then again, I'm not eight, so that might be part of it.
I'd give it a 6/10.
You can watch episodes here if you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment